St Paul’s Church at Bass is situated in Hade Avenue, close to the highway entrance on the Phillip Island side of Bass. The land upon which St Paul’s church now stands was formerly Crown land, set aside by the government of 1865. This was a provision on behalf of the then ‘Church of England’.
Financial problems delayed Construction of a church building on this land until 1878. However, regular services were held in the Bass school building, which was built in 1866.
Regular services were recorded as commencing in 1874. Records from St Peter’s, Mornington show that a Mr R Shekleton was a reader at both French and Phillip Islands, along with Bass, on 27 February 1874.
The first extension of the original building took place in 1887. This was in the form of a sanctuary beyond the main worship space and a small room on either side.
In 1933 a vicarage was built alongside the church and in 1939 a vestry was constructed on the north side of the Sanctuary.